- This event has passed.
Resetting Capitalism; In Search for Common Ground
June 29, 2020 @ 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
It seems that neither market nor state, neither financiers nor politicians, can enforce a capitalism-reset in isolation. The problems of our global economy are too fundamental, diverse, and omnipresent. The current Corona-crisis shows the importance of a social contract that complements the formal structures of state and market. Between “supermarket” United States and “superstate” China, how can Europe keep up its efforts for a strong social contract? Is a distinct form of European capitalism recognizable and feasible? And how can financial institutions function in and contribute to this particular form of embedded capitalism?
- Jean Pisani-Ferry holds the Tommaso Padoa Schioppa chair of the European University Institute in Florence and is a Senior Fellow at Bruegel, the European think tank. He is also a professor of economics with Sciences Po (Paris) and the Hertie School of Governance (Berlin). In the first half of 2017, Pisani-Ferry contributed to Emmanuel Macron’s presidential bid as the Director of programme and ideas of his campaign.
- Nils Goldschmidt is professor of Contextual Economics and Economic Education at the German Centre for Economic Education (Zentrums des ökonomische Bildung (ZöBiS)) (Universität Siegen). He is chairman of the German Centre for the Social-Market Economy (Aktionsgemeinschaft Soziale Marktwirtschaft).
- Joanne Kellermann was (2007-2014) board member of the Dutch Central Bank (“De Nederlandsche Bank”). At present, she is chairwoman of the Dutch pension fund for health-care workers (“Pensioenfonds Zorg en Welzijn”, PFZW).
- Arnoud Boot is professor of Corporate Finance and Financial Markets at the University of Amsterdam. He is a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences since 2008. He currently serves as chairman of the European Finance Association (EFA) and also chairs the Sustainable Finance Lab (SFL). Professor Boot is also council member of the Dutch Scientific Council for Government Policy (WRR) and research fellow at the Center for Economic Policy Research (CEPR) in London.
- Jan Peter Balkenende is former Prime Minister of the Netherlands. At present, he is senior advisor at EY, member of the supervisory board at ING bank and professor of Governance, Institutions and Internationalisation at Erasmus University. Together with prof. Govert Buijs, Prof. Balkenende is in charge of the research program “Rebuilding the Market Economy for a Future Generation” that will start in the fall of 2020.
- Jaap Winter is professor of Corporate Law, Governance and Behaviour at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and professor of International Company Law at Universiteit van Amsterdam. He is also visiting professor of Corporate Governance at INSEAD and partner at consultancy firm Phyleon. Prof. Winter is the chairman of the advisory council of the Finance and the Common Good program.