By Raj Sisodia & Michael J. Gelb
- Conscious Capitalism: Liberating the Heroic Spirit of Business (2013)
- Firms of Endearment: How World-Class Companies Profit from Passion and Purpose (2014)
- The Healing Organization: Awakening the Conscience of Business to Help Save the World (2019)
The image of modern corporations has been shaped by a focus on profits over people and the environment, but this approach to capitalism is no longer viable. We are at an inflection point where business must take the lead in healing the crises of our time. The Healing Organization shows how corporations can become healing forces.
Conscious Capitalism pioneer Raj Sisodia and organizational innovation expert Michael J. Gelb were inspired to write The Healing Organization because of the epidemic of unnecessary suffering connected with business, including the destruction of the environment; increasing numbers living paycheck-to-paycheck and barely surviving (despite working full-time or even multiple jobs); rising rates of depression and stress leading to chronic health problems; and because the enmity and dividedness between those who champion unfettered capitalism and those who advocate socialism is exacerbating rather than solving our problems.
Based on extensive in-depth interviews and inspiring case studies, the authors show how companies such as Shake Shack, Hyatt, KIND Healthy Snacks, Eileen Fisher, H-E-B, FIFCO, Jaipur Rugs and DTE Energy are healing their employees, customers, communities and other stakeholders. They represent a diverse sampling of industries and geographies, but they all have significant elements in common, besides being profitable enterprises:
- Their employees love coming to work.
- They have passionately loyal customers.
- They make a significant positive difference to the communities they serve.
- They preserve and restore the ecosystems in which they operate.
In a world that urgently needs healing on many levels, this is a movement whose time has come. The Healing Organization shows how it can be done, how it is being done, and how you can begin to do it too.
Talks by the Authors
- Interview with Sisodia about the book, The Marketing Journal, 3 November 2019
- Website that goes with the book
Table of Contents of The Healing Organization
- How to Get the Most from This Book
Part 1 - Business; The Cause and the Solution of Many of the World's Problems?
- Redreaming the American Dream
- Evolving from Empire to Ministry, from Conquering to Caring
Part 2 - The Joy that Is Possible
- The Power of Innocence
- The Utility of Love
- The Zen of Brownies
- The Most Interesting Woman in the World
- The Parable of the Pothole
- Making Room for Dreams
- Where Are the Customer's Yachts?
- Thanks for Putting Poison on My Microscope
- Not "Only" for Profit
- Redefining Success
- How Do You Get to Carnegie Hall?
- Enlightened Hospitality
- From Death March to Joy Ride
- From Elegy to Exultation
- The Spirit of Giving
- The Means and the Ends Are the Same
- Bringing More Pura to the Corporate Vida
- CEO = Chief Empathy Officer
Part 3 - The Beckoning Path
- Three Principles That Define a Healing Organization
- On Becoming a Healing Leader
About Raj Sisodia & Michael J. Gelb
is the F.W. Olin Distinguished Professor of Global Business and Whole Foods Market Research Scholar in Conscious Capitalism at Babson College in Wellesley, MA. He is also co-founder and co-chairman of Conscious Capitalism, Inc. He has a Ph.D. in marketing from Columbia University. In 2003, he was cited as one of "50 Leading Marketing Thinkers” by the Chartered Institute of Marketing. He was named one of "Ten Outstanding Trailblazers of 2010” by Good Business International, and one of the "Top 100 Thought Leaders in Trustworthy Business Behavior” by Trust Across America for 2010 and 2011. Raj has published seven books and more than 100 academic articles. He has consulted with and taught executive programs for numerous companies, including AT&T, Nokia, LG, DPDHL, POSCO, Kraft Foods, Whole Foods Market, Tata, Siemens, Sprint, Volvo, IBM, Walmart, Rabobank, McDonalds, and Southern California Edison.
Michael J. Gelb is the world’s leading authority on the application of genius thinking to personal and organizational development, and the author of 16 books, including the bestseller How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci. His books are available in 25 languages and have sold more than one-million copies. He helps organizations around the world develop more creative, innovative and conscious cultures.