At the end of 2020 the Future Markets Consultation invited students and young scholars to submit their ideas on a sustainable and just market economy for Europe in the shape of an essay. The jury has meanwhile read all the submissions to this essay contest with great interest. We would like to cordially thank all participants for sharing their ideas and views on the future of the market economy in Europe. The essays provide great input for the final consultation report, which will be published later this year.
The jury has divided the essays in three categories: bachelor students, master students and young scholars, a category which also includes PhD students. Unfortunately, no prize will be awarded in the category of bachelor students. Due to the low number of submissions in this category, the jury felt that a fair comparison between the essays was not possible and none of the essays submitted stood out as a clear winner.
Nominated Master Students
In the category of master students, the following essay authors have been nominated, in alphabetical order of last name:
- Mark Beckmann (“The Democratising Potential of a Digital Euro“)
- Luka Blankevoort (“Circular Economy in Degrowth for Environmental Sustainability“)
- Camila Posada (“A New Rule Book for a New Transition“)
- Michiel van Veluwen (“Moving forward and Finding Balance in a Dynamic System“)
- Martijn de Vries (“The Challenge for a Future Economy that Promotes Human Flourishing Is Broadening What Economists Value“)
Nominated Young Scholars
In the category of young scholars, the following essay authors have been nominated:
- Fausto Corvino (“A Fair Allocation of the Costs of Precarious Employment: A Proposal for Europe“)
- Malte Hendricks (“Laissez-Concurrencer!“)
- Babatunde Onabajo (“Is It Time to Rethink Quotas?“)
- Pim Post (“Rethinking Our Rights to Resources“)
Award Ceremony on 12 April
The winner in each of these two categories will be announced in a short award ceremony that is part of an online event on 12 April 2020. During this event the Think Tank of Young Economists of the Future Markets Consultation will present its report Towards the Well-Being Economy. Everybody interested is cordially invited to participate. Please register in advance to get the access link to this online event.