- This event has passed.
Between Market, State and Religion
August 27, 2017 - September 2, 2017
We would like to draw your attention to the call for applications for the 2017 UCSIA summer school on “Religion, Culture and Society: Entanglement and Confrontation”. This summer school is a one-week course taking place from Sunday 27th of August until Saturday 2nd of September 2017. This year the program will focus on the topic ‘Between Market, State and Religion: Economic Realities, Social Justice & Faith Traditions’
This year, the central aim of the UCSIA summer school is to reflect upon the evolutions of economic markets interacting with specific political and socio-religious contexts through time and space. Focus is put upon the ways in which socio-economic evolutions such as globalization, the historical rise of capitalist economies and the idea of the self-regulating market interact with and affect socio-religious and cultural normative frameworks on both the level of governmental policy, economic stakeholders and the individual household. The present call invites paper proposals in which the broad topic of economic realities interacting with social contexts and faith traditions will be discussed from a diverse lines of approach, clustered around following subthemes:
- Globalization, economic imperialism and social justice
- Religious communities and economic values and production
- Capitalism under construction: appropriation of capitalist producing and consuming
Guest lecturers are:
- Prof. Dr. Jennifer Olmsted (Drew University, U.S.A; U.S. Department of Agriculture),
- Prof. Dr. Mayfair Yang (Department of Religious Studies and Department of East Asian Languages & Cultural Studies, University of California, Santa Barbara),
- Dr. David Henig (School of Anthropology & Conservation, University of Kent, UK),
- Prof. Dr. Paul Oslington (Alphacrusis College, Sydney, Australia)
Participation and stay for young scholars and researchers are free of charge. Participants should pay for their own travel expenses to Antwerp.
You can submit your application via the electronic submission form on the summer school website. The completed file as well as all other required application documents must be submitted to the UCSIA Selection Committee not later than Sunday 14th of May 2017.
For further information regarding the programme and application procedure, please have a look at our website: www.ucsia.org/summerschool.